Title: Head Chef
Job Type: Permanent, Regular Full-Time
Reports to: Owner
Post Date: 06/05/16
Close Date: 06/15/16
Summary of Accountabilities:
Reporting to the Owners, the Head Chef oversees all kitchen operations for the restaurant at Bernstein’s Deli. The Head Chef oversees a team of up to 8 kitchen staff and ensures daily kitchen operations are completed accurately and according to standard.
The Head Chef takes a lead in developing recipes that are aligned with Bernstein’s Deli’s brand identity. The Head Chef works in close collaboration with the Owners in reviewing business operations and identifying opportunities for Bernstein’s Deli to grow in the food service industry.
- Oversees the daily hot and cold food production for the restaurant of Bernstein’s deli. Participates in hands on food preparation as required.
- Takes a lead in recipe development. Proposes recipes that are in alignment with Bernstein’s deli’s brand identity. Participates in the decision making process with owners.
- Oversees a team of up to 8 kitchen staff to ensure daily operations are completed accurately. Identifies kitchen operations standards and ensures all kitchen team members are trained.
- Assists in overseeing all restaurant staff.
- Performs on-going daily inventory of food supplies during each shift. Monitors levels and prepares accordingly to ensure items are in stock while monitoring freshness, quality, and cost.
- Participates in the review of sales data pertaining to menu revisions with the owners.
- Assists customers with kitchen and deli needs as required while maintaining a positive environment for both customers and staff. Maintains “Specials Board” to communicate seasonal and rotating menu items
Education, Skills, & Certifications:
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent. Post-secondary education in culinary arts is preferred.
- Red Seal Certification would be considered an asset
- Food Handlers & Serving-it-Safe Certification is required.
- Strong Leadership skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work under tight deadlines
- Strong Communication skills
Minimum 3 years’ experience in the food service/restaurant industry combined with post-secondary education in culinary arts is required. A minimum 5 years’ experience as a line cook or kitchen manager is required in the absence of Post-secondary education
The working conditions for this role require the individual to stand, walk, sit, crouch, reach, and lift up to 8 hours a day. Lifting capability of up to 50 lb is required.
About Bernstein’s Deli:
Established in 1985, Bernstein’s Deli is a family-owned and operated traditional deli that offers both classic and unexpected deli fare. Located in the heart of Winnipeg’s River Heights Community, Bernstein’s Deli takes pride in providing a welcoming deli culture, good quality homemade food, and unique deli creations to cater to modern tastes and dietary requirements. Offering both catering and restaurant food services, Bernstein’s deli’s reputation has not only been built on its signature deli fare, but even more importantly, its personalized customer service and comfortable atmosphere.
At Bernstein’s Deli, our employees make the difference. We offer competitive compensation packages including benefits and profit sharing programs.
If you are interested in joining the Bernstein’s Deli team, please submit your cover letter and resume to [email protected] by Friday June 17, 2016.